150th Anniversary of Bryan Neck Missionary Baptist Church
Join us as we celebrate the 150th Anniversary of the Bryan Neck Missionary Baptist Church. We will tour the historic chapel and cemetery, learn the history, and enjoy the church choir. Refreshments will be served. This event is free and open to the public.
Organized in 1869, this is the oldest African-American church congregation in lower Bryan County. The first structure for the church, a Prayer House, was built in 1870 on this site near the white Presbyterian Church (Burnt Church). London Harris, a freedman and spiritual leader of the local black community, was one of the organizers and first pastors for the church. The church was renovated and enlarged at the time the nearby Carver school was built in 1939.